Health - Longer workouts may boost good Cholesterol

According to a new research review by Japanese researchers, longer work outs that last more than half an hour may boost your good cholesterol.

What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is found in the body tissue and blood of all animals. The liver manufactures about 80 per cent of the cholesterol in our bodies. The other 20 per cent comes from the food that we eat. There are two types of cholesterol good and bad. While too much bad cholesterol can cause heart disease, good cholesterol helps to remove bad cholesterol from the walls of arteries and transports it to the liver for elimination. Unlike low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol, a rise in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol is considered positive for heart health.

At least two hours per week of aerobic exercise such as walking, biking, or swimming, preferably in sessions lasting for more than half an hour, may boost the good cholesterol, said new research review published in the Japanese Archives of Internal Medicine.

However, the review added that brief bouts of exercise might not be that helpful.

Satoru Kodama and other researchers at the University of Tokyo pooled data from 25 studies on aerobic exercise and HDL cholesterol.

The studies included some 1,400 adults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bhima's son Gadotkach like skeleton found

Procedure to get passports from PSK (Passport Seva Kendra)

India's best Engineering colleges